Don't put too much stock in the name as there's nothing petite about the petite palace. Built for the 1900 World Exhibition, this museum showcases painting from well-known painters like Rembrandt, Fragonard, Monet, and Cezanne. The palace itself is a spectacular work of art with mosaic floors and features a barrel vault ceiling. The Petit Palais features ionic columns and a dome which is similar to Invalides (Tomb of Napoleon / War Museum) across the river as well as the Grand Palais. The Petit Palais in Paris was a museum built for the Universal Exhibition in 1900 to Charles Girault's designs, it now houses the City of Paris Museum of Fine Arts (musée des beaux-arts ).
The current exhibits include a remarkable collection of paintings and sculptures divided into the following sections:
- the Dutuit Collection of medieval and Renaissance paintings, drawings and objets d'art
- the Tuck Collection of 18th century furniture and the City of Paris collection of paintings.
- Paintings by painters such as Rembrandt, Rubens, Nicolas Poussin, Claude Gellée, Fragonard, Hubert Robert, Greuze
- A remarkable collection of 19th-century painting and sculpture: Ingres, Géricault, Delacroix, Courbet, Monet, Sisley, Pissarro, Cézanne, Modigliani, Carpeaux, Maillol and Rodin.
The Petit Palais is one of the 14 City of Paris' Museums that have been incorporated since January 1st 2013 in the public institution Paris Musées. Admission is free for all visitors.
Musée du Petit Palais
(Photo from iandolphin24)
Musee du Petit Palais Address: Avenue Winston Churchill, 75008 Paris, France
Musee du Petit Palais Map:
View Larger Map
- Musee du Petit Palais Website: http://www.petitpalais.paris.fr/en
- Musee du Petit Palais Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Petit-Palais/273861966942
Reviews from Travellers on the Musee du Petit Palais
- "It is much less commercialized and calmer than the Louvre."
- "Very rustic and very accessible."
- "A small museum, easy to walk with interesting works of art in a place with the Parisian charm."
Musee du Petit Palais Links
- http://www.petitpalais.paris.fr/ - Official Site
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petit_Palais - The Petit Palais (Small Palace) is a museum in Paris, France. ... Musée du quai Branly; Musée de Cluny; Musée d'Orsay; Musée Rodin; Muséum national d'histoire ...
- http://www.museums-in-paris.com/sub.php?action=musee&code=408 - Now fully renovated, the Petit Palais forms part of a wonderful whole which includes the Grand Palais and the Alexander III Bridge. Combining modernity and belle ...